Wednesday, April 27, 2011

First Official HMR Weigh-in Tonight (April 27, 2011)

I have lost 13.6 lbs.  
About half of the weight lost was fat and the other half was water. 
HMR is using the starting weight of 300.2 taken at their office on April 11, 2011.
My current weight is 286.6 lbs!

Let me just say that this week started out on the rough side.  I had a cardiac stress-echo test at the hospital on Monday.  The test goes something like this:
  1. You are taken to room and hooked to an ekg/ecg.
  2. The nurse records your vitals (bp, heart rate, etc).
  3. They do a baseline ekg/ecg while laying down.  I think they did one standing up as well.
  4.  The echo tech (I do not know the proper name) does what looks like an ultrasound of your heart.
  5. You get on a treadmill, and in my case, walk until your heart rate hits 180 bpm.  The treadmill increases the incline every 3 minutes or so.  It didn't take too long for my heart rate to reach 180.  They also take your blood pressure periodically.
  6. As soon my heart hit 180 bpm, I got off of the treadmill and very quickly got back on the table and laid on my left side.  The echo tech does an ultrasound of your heart again and then arranges the images from before and after with the cardiologist.
The cardiologist said several things during the test that made me feel better -- such as, "your ekg/ecg looks perfect, no problems" and after looking at the ultrasound pictures from before the treadmill and after, said, "everything looks normal, no problems".

I was so relieved, you don't even know.  I didn't realize how stressed out I was from the whole thing until I was leaving and burst out bawling in the hall while they were walking me out.  I could feel the tears coming on when I was trying to say thank you to the staff.  I started crying again in the car and I must have looked ridiculous. However, I felt 1000 percent better and have been in a much better mood ever since.

3 comments:

  1. That is SPECTACULAR!!!!! I have not had the high blood pressure/chest pains that you experience, but at the beginning of this year I realized there was something terribly wrong. My fear was that I was officially diabetic. I certainly should be with the amount of junk food I have eaten for my 37 years. That is what really kick started me again to doing WW and losing weight. Fortunately when the test results came in, I was not diabetic. They put me on welbutrin and I have been 100% better ever since.

    I now have a healthy fear ... enough to keep me on track!

    Wow, 13.5 lbs is amazing. Yes, some of it is water, but damn...still amazing. Keep up the good work! I will be checking in :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your first week! It sounds like you are off to a good start. Let me know how it goes when you quit using the fruit. I'm still so hungry on the Healthy Solutions I don't know how I'd manage less.

    Just curious - did you end up going to a movie the other day? Next Friday my company is taking all of us to see a movie and I'm debating not going because of the popcorn. I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to surround myself with quite so much temptation! So I was wondering what your experience was in a theater.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts as you go through this. You can trust I'll be by again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rainy, thanks for the encouragement! I stopped using the fruit, effective Thursday, April 28. I have not missed the fruit.

    I did not end up going to the movie the other day for two reasons - 1. nothing really appealed to me after all and 2. the only movie I considered was at 4 p.m. and HMR was set to begin at 6:15 p.m., so I thought it would be cutting it too close.

    As for popcorn, I'm weird about it. The smell sometimes makes me nauseous and I rarely eat it. It doesn't always sit well with me. However, interestingly enough, when I was walking the mall, the theater started making it... and the smell appealed to me. I think at this point most food smells appeal to me. It is really weird.

    I'm not familiar with allowances on Health Solutions, can you take something with you to the theater? Or maybe eat an entree before you go? I can see where it might be hard especially if you're a fan of popcorn, which I'm not. (Though, oddly enough, coat it with sugar - a la kettle corn and I like it fine). :-)

    Good luck w/ your decision!

    ReplyDelete